Sunday, August 30, 2009

New Toy: Intuos4 Graphics Tablet

In order to not go crazy in Korea, I bought myself a Intuos4 graphics tablet, which is basically a pressure sensitive surface that you can draw on with a pen-type tool. It is a large step up from a mouse for a few reasons - the pressure sensitivity, the "feel" and simply the difference between putting the pen on the pad vs clicking and holding the mouse.

My drawing skills are most weak, so I decided to follow the route of countless people before me and learn by tracing something good. I chose The Kazusa Sea Route, by Katsushika Hokusai, one of the many views of Mt. Fuji. It isn't my favorite, but it has a lot of detail, so I figured that it'd give me a lot of practice. I know dozens of shortcuts that could've made it more accurate and quicker, but for this exercise I decided not to take them. It was a lot of work and I'll not be holding myself to such rules in the future!

I also took some liberties in the coloring department, namely in the color of the ship.




Sasha

No comments: